Friday, October 9, 2015

Top 10: Character Songs

So I haven't really made a top 10 list that I want to share with people, but this one really stood out and it's a list of character songs that I have loved since I first listened to them:)


Zachary Sayle preforming Letter
From the Refuge
for Disney's
Playlist Session.
#10 Letter From the Refuge; sung by Crutchie from the stage musical, Newsies. This song was added to the tour version of the 1992 disney movie. The song is supposively to be a letter that Crutchie wrote to Jack Kelly. It is the saddest song in the musical, which makes it the tearjerker scene in the entire musical; however, it wasn't written during the Papermill stage of Newsies, it was written during its Nederlander run on Broadway making it too late to be added into the musical's Broadway run.

Adam Cooper and Scarlett Strallen
as Don Lockwood and Kathy Selden
in a promotional shoot for the
West End revival of Singing In
the Rain
.
#9 You Are My Lucky Star; sung by Kathy Selden from the musical, Singing In the Rain. You Are My Lucky Star was cut from the movie's final cut due to its running time but for me, I thought that the song would've made the movie easier to follow along and made Kathy's character arch even more developed. In the West End revival of Singing In the Rain, the song is done by Scarlett Strallen who made the song more tearful and heartfelt. As a fan of musicals, this song is the type of song that I'd like to call, the fangirl's theme for proclaiming their love to their celebrity crush.

#8 Just Around the Riverbend; sung by Pocahontas from the disney animation, Pocahontas. This song is the first song that Pocahontas sings and introduces the audience to the home of Native Americans and to the personality of the musical's main character, Pocahontas. I think that this song makes the introduction of Pocahontas more unique and different to the introduction of other disney princesses.

Lucy Durack in
Glinda's popular
dress.
#7 Popular; sung by Galinda Upland from the stage musical, Wicked. The song is a girl's guide on how to be popular. (literally!) The song is the musical's comedic point and one of my all time favorite Broadway songs done by a woman.

#6 Reflection; sung by Mulan from the disney animation, Mulan. This song is actually the main reason why I wanted to see the animation get turned into a stage musical, above all other reasons. The song is a song that shows odd Mulan's wish. I think that anyone can relate to the song because of its universal message of hope and freewill.

Ciara Renee as Esmeralda during
God Save the Outcasts from
Hunchback of Notre Dame.
#5 God Save the Outcasts; sung by Esmeralda from the disney animation, Hunchback of Notre Dame. The song is one of the musical's strongest story telling point and sets a boundary of how the plot and story arch of Esmeralda plays out throughout the musical. I love this song's message when put against the story of Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Kara Lindsay as Katherine Pulitzer
during Watch What Happensfrom Newsies.
#4 Watch What Happens; sung by Katherine Pulitzer from the stage musical, Newsies. This song is originally written for Les Jacobs and is done as a sing out your thoughts type of song. The song is musical's hardest song sung by a female character.

#3 If Only; sung by Mal from the disney channel original movie, Descendants. If Only is a ballad that tells the story of the things that your heart is telling you told from the perspective of the heart's listener. YOU!

#2 Proud Of Your Boy; sung by Aladdin from the disney musical, Aladdin. The song is sung in the point of view of a man but the message is entirely universal and can be shown off by a woman. The message of the song is "I'm trouble but I know I could make you proud in the end".

Laurel Harris as Elphaba Thropp
during Deying Gravity
from Wicked.
#1 Defying Gravity; sung by Elphaba Thropp featuring Galinda Upland and the Guards of Oz from the stage musical, Wicked. The song is not entirely a solo song but the song's main lyrics is sung by one person. The song highlights a person's freedom and his/hers defiance of gravity. Your gravity could be ethnic or racial boundaries pulling you down. Always remember that you are free to spread your wings and fly. To me, that's the main message of the song.

That is my top to character songs if you have different reason or a song that you think that I should've included in my top 10, just comment below and tell me what song that you think should be in my list. I'd love to know what you think. Don't be shy!

No comments:

Post a Comment