Friday, September 4, 2015

Film Fridays: Indiscreet (1958)


Indiscreet movie poster, 1958
I'm starting off my Film Fridays with a movie that I've seen twice and I have recently reviewed for my tumblr blog. It's short for now. Sorry about that.

Anna Kalman: "I like a man with a glass in his hand"

Indiscreet is a 1958 feature-length motion picture starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, which centers around a London based actress named Anna Kalman (Bergman) who has been unable to find love in her life; however, when Anna arrived at home she meets a financier named Philip Adams (Grant). Philip is a work acquaintance of Anna’s brother-in-law.

Cary Grant in a middle of a dance move in Discreet, 1958


The film plays out as a mistaken relationship, just like in Mark Sandrich’s Top Hat in 1935 when Ginger Rogers’s character Dale Tremont mistakes Fred Astaire’s character, Jerry Travers as a married man. In comparison to this movie, Ingrid Bergman’s character, Anna Kalman’s brother-in-law mistakes Cary Grant’s character for a married man turns that Top Hat storyline into a different spectrum and to a different movie-going audience.


"How dare he make love to me
-- and not be a married man!"
~The film's tagline

Personally, I love those mysterious fictional male characters, which is something that I find cute. Cary Grant in this movie just an ace and Ingrid Bergman is amazing! She really came a long way since Casablanca.

Sources

  1. Donen, Stanley, dir. Indiscreet. Warner Brothers, 1958. Film.
  2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051773/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

No comments:

Post a Comment